Video game journalism web log Hypertext Transfer Protocol Colon Double-Slash World Wide Web Dot Kotaku Dot Com features editor Kirk Hamilton joins us to discuss some topics I came up with literally 20 minutes before the show. It turned out pretty good! Here’s what you’re in for:
1) BioWare’s Gay Planet
2) Super Mario World as a Modding Community Playground
3) Electronic Arts president John Riccitiello vs. United States vice president Joe Biden
4) Modern pop artists in game music composition
5) Game-Inspired Hairstyles for your Girl/Boyfriend
6) Title schema for future Pokémon games
7) A report card for Platinum Games
8) The best power-up in a video game (and what constitutes a power-up)
9) Why Capcom hates Mega Man
10) How to inflate your game’s metascore
Plus, a lightning round with results to be judged by you the listener! E-mail who you think did the best job to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks again to Andrew Toups, who did all the sound editing again. Music for this episode includes Sleater Kinney’s “Oh!” and Pizzicato Five’s “Trailer Music” and “It’s a Beautiful Day”.
Oh yeah! Last week, we had a whole show where we eulogized the PlayStation 2. Our “PS2culuar”, if you will (or even if you won’t, I don’t care, I will never stop making puns out of the word “spectacular” and there is not a thing you can do to stop me). If you haven’t grabbed it off iTunes or our RSS feed yet, you can download it here.
Lots of you have been requesting the Best Games of All Time list from a couple weeks ago, so I’ll post it here for your consultation. Don’t like these results? You can influence the 2014 Edition by e-mailing your nominations to email@example.com. Get to it!
–alex jaffe is particularly fond of Zexion’s hair in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
OutRun 2 (Arcade)
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (Arcade)
Mother 3 (GBA)
God Hand (PS2)
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (GB)
The Secret of Monkey Island (DOS)
Half-Life 2 (PC)
Another World (Amiga)
Sid Meier’s Civilization (PC)
Bonk’s Revenge (TurboGrafx-16)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Cave Story (PC)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS)